Sometimes extreme weather conditions, complete rethinking of springtime work in the vineyard due to lockdown, the growth cycle of the vine constantly in advance, an optimal indian summer… 2020 has been a severe test for those who shaped it. Without doubt, this new vintage will go down in the history of Bordeaux wines.
After a disrupted spring, summer in Bordeaux provided an ideal climate for the berries to make rapid progress and ripen. Hot days and cool nights in the first 15 days of september favoured a good state of health and provided optimum conditions for achieving good levels of oenological ripeness before picking. This gives high hopesfor the 2020 vintage today, with excellent wines in prospect.
SIGNIFICANT EVENTS MARQUANTS
• A very mild winter, a disrupted spring (hail, frost, snow, floods), a scorching summer followed by an ideal Indian summer.
• An advance of nearly 15 days at each stage of the vine’s growth cycle.
• An early harvest, but increasingly long lasting (from mid-August to end September).
• Relatively calm preparation for the harvest, despite the health measures to be put in place to ensure everyone’s safety.
• Very good potential, with excellent colour and good balance between alcohol, acidity and tannins.
• Volume likely to be slightly lower than the ten-year average.
Source : CIVB